Self-care is a term that you may keep hearing a lot. So what exactly is it? Basically it is looking after yourself, nourishing, restoring and sustaining your physical, mental and emotional health.
Why does everyone need reminding to take care of themselves? Because of modern life and how stupidly busy and very far removed from the natural conditions that human beings thrive in. Rest and recuperation is essential to our health, but many of us are not getting anywhere near enough.
Stress is something we see as normal, but it isn’t and can have serious implications for our physical and emotional health. Stress isn’t going, we have to learn how to build our reserves so we cope with it better. It is essential to make looking after ourselves a daily habit, just like brushing your teeth.
Self-care is not going for a spa day once in a blue more, though I highly recommend spa days! The thing with a spa day, though nice is it doesn’t happen often enough, can be costly and you return straight back to the stresses of life.
True self-care is about listening to and responding to you needs on a daily basis. Not pushing through when you are tired or feeling under the weather. Saying no to people sometimes. Nourishing yourself with good food and thoughts. Making time every day to do something just for you. And of course going for a spa day to supplement these daily routines.
These simple daily self-care tips will give you an idea of where to start:
- Before you jump out of bed take a moment to do some nice deep breaths
- Do some simple movement/stretches of your body when you get out of bed
- Look at yourself in the mirror, smile and pay yourself a compliment
- Drink a large glass of room temperature water first thing in the morning, you can add some lemon juice if you like
- Have a pamper evening, a nice bath and face mask
- Go to bed early with a book
- Enjoy a walk
- Put your favourite music on and have a boogie around the coffee table
- Watch a movie
- Check in with you emotions at the start and end of each day
There are loads more, but this gives you the idea of how simple it is.
Enjoy taking care of you!